Helen was first introduced to the Pilates Method by Alan Herdman, founder of Pilates in the UK. Helen continued to use the Method as her major form of supplementary exercise during her years as a professional dancer. This continued after she had stopped dancing professionally.
Helen began teaching Pilates in 1993 after completing her apprenticeship in Sydney. The early focus of Helen’s Pilates career was to establish and manage a Pilates studio in the “Solutions for Pain and Injury Centre” (Sydney, Australia 1995). This was one of a few multi-disciplinary centres dedicated to a holistic approach to injuries and special needs.
In 1998, Helen pioneered Pilates Matwork classes in gymnasiums nationally. Now her accredited courses train professional instructors who provide the general public with increased availability to the Pilates Method.
In 2001 Helen opened a professional state of the art Pilates Studio in Double Bay, Sydney, and pioneered the way forward in the Australian Pilates industry establishing group Allegro Reformer and Pre & post Pregnancy Circuit Classes.
In 2001 Helen became the host of Australia’s first Pilates show for Aerobics Oz Style. The television series aired in forty countries worldwide.
Helen and Sally Anderson co-founded the Mind Your Body Conference in 2002, the first conference of its kind in Australia, providing a non-competitive environment for education and collaboration for professionals in the Pilates and other associated industries.
Helen published her first book Beautiful Pilates for Penguin Books in 2005. A coffee table book, it outlines the fluid beauty of the method while showing how it can leave you feeling agile, firm exhilarated, strong & revitalised. Along with acclaimed photographer Greg Barrett’s photographs, Helen reveals the beauty of Pilates poses as you have never seen them before.
After over 25 years in the Pilates industry presenting, instructor training and writing, Helen’s true passion is teaching. She is most fulfilled when she is face to face with her clients.
- Classical Ballet – trained with the Royal Academy of Dancing 1974-1988 (ARAD)
- Advanced Exam – Honours 1988
- Solo Seal Awarded 1988
- Gold Coast Youth Ballet 1988-1989
- Finalist – Adeline Genee Awards 1988-89 (UK)
- Bronze medallion – Adeline Genee Awards 1989-90 (UK)
- Royal Ballet School Graduate 1989 (UK)
- Royal Ballet Company 1989-1992 (UK – BRB)
- Pilates Moves – Freelance Pilates Instructor 1998-2001
- Director & Founder – Pilates Moves Studio, Double Bay, Sydney, Australia 2001
- TV Presenter Aerobics Oz Style (Pilates) 2001-2006
- Co-founder of Mind Your Body Annual Conference 2002
- Polestar Studio Level 1-3 Certificate of Attendance 2002
- Body Arts & Science Post Graduate Symposium 2003
- Author – Beautiful Pilates 2005
- Nominated Telstra Business Woman Award 2005
- Yoga Synergy Applied Anatomy & Physiology of Yoga – Course 2 Certificate of Attendance 2005/06/07
- STOTT Pilates – IMP and Advanced Mat 2015
- Dance Medicine Australia – Certified Clinical Pilates instructor (Melbourne) 1995
- Australian Fitness Accreditation Council (AFAC) – Fitness Leader 1995
- Physical Mind Institute – Certified Teacher Trainer (USA) 1998
- Australian Pilates Method Association (APMA) – Founding member & Pilates Practitioner IV 1997
- Pilates Alliance Australasia (PAA) – Founding member & Principal Trainer 2003
- PAA – Educational Body
- Equilibrio & Pilates Moves Certificate – Neuro Linguistic Programming 2004
- EFI Sports Medicine – Gravity Trainer in Pilates 2004
- Certificate IV Workplace Assessment & Training 2004
- Certificate IV Pilates (91121NSW) 2005
- International Society of Neuro-Semantics (ISNS) – Coaching Essentials 2007
- Neuro Power – Accredited Neuro Power co-facilitator 2008
- Licensed Provider of the Fletcher Towelwork 2010
- Diploma in Professional Pilates Instruction (91491NSW) 2010
- Core Fitness Roller Certification 2012
- Xtend Barre® – Xtend Barre® Instructor 2014
- Xtend Barre® – Xtend Barre Stick® Instructor 2014
- The Center for Women’s Fitness – Pre/Postnatal Specialist Program 2014
- Franklin Method – Level 1 Franklin Method Educator 2014
- AntiGravity® – Instructor 2015